Ed Orgeron comments on LSU's hire of new defensive coordinator Daronte Jones
It’s official, LSU has hired a defensive coordinator.
On Tuesday, the team announced the hiring of former Minnesota Vikings defensive backs coach Daronte Jones as the program’s new leader on defense. Jones comes via recommendation from former LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda, who now serves as Baylor’s head coach.
Ed Orgeron issued the following comment following the hiring of Jones in Baton Rouge.
“Daronte is a great addition to our staff,” Orgeron said in a released statement. “We did a lot of research and talked to a lot of coaches including Dave (Aranda) and every person we spoke with raved about his knowledge and passion for the game. He’s going to bring tremendous energy to our defense and he will put our players in position to make plays, no matter the situation or scheme.
“Daronte spent a year working with Dave at Wisconsin and he’s learned from some of the best in the game during his five years in the NFL and I know that he’s going to do a great job with our defense. I’m excited he’s going to be an LSU Tiger.”
Jones worked under Aranda during the 2015 season at Wisconsin. That season, the Badgers led the country by allowing just seven touchdowns for the season. Following that outstanding season for Wisconsin’s defense, Aranda was hired by Les Miles to run LSU’s defense.
The decision to return to Aranda’s defensive system makes sense for the Tigers, as LSU had one of the best defenses in the SEC during his tenure in Baton Rouge and while the offense got the majority of the credit for the team’s run to the 2019 SEC and national championships, the defense did its part during the final five games of the season to ensure the Tigers won it all that season.
Daronte Jones’ complete coaching history according to LSU
- 2001 Lenoir-Rhyne (graduate assistant)
- 2002 Nicholls State (safeties)
- 2003 Franklin (La.) High School (defensive coordinator)
- 2004 Jeanerette (La.) High School (defensive coordinator)
- 2005-09 Bowie State (assistant head coach/defensive coordinator)
- 2010 UCLA (cornerbacks)
- 2011 Montreal Alouettes (defensive backs)
- 2012-14 Hawaii (secondary, 2012-13; assistant head coach/secondary, 2014)
- 2015 Wisconsin (defensive backs)
- 2016-17 Miami Dolphins (assistant defensive backs)
- 2018-19 Cincinnati Bengals (secondary/cornerbacks)
- 2020 Minnesota Vikings (defensive backs)
- 2021 LSU (defensive coordinator)