8 SEC coaches named nominees for 2021 Broyles Award
On Monday, 58 different assistant coaches across college football were announced as nominees for the 2021 Broyles Award. Eight different SEC coaches found their names on that list.
The Broyles Award is given annually to the country’s top assistant. SEC coaches on the list of nominees include:
- Pete Golding, Alabama DC/ILB coach
- Cody Kennedy, Arkansas OL coach
- Zach Arnett, Mississippi State DC
- Jeff Lebby, Ole Miss OC/QB coach
- Tim Banks, Tennessee DC
- Mike Elko, Texas A&M DC/S coach
- Dan Lanning, Georgia DC/OLB coach
- Clayton White, South Carolina DC/ILB coach
Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian won the award last season as the Tide, led by Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith and future 1st-round picks Mac Jones and Najee Harris, used a blistering offense to win another national championship.
This season, it’s the orchestrator of the Tide’s defense that sees his name on the initial list.
The Big Ten led the way among Power 5 conferences with 9 nominees. The 8 assistants from the SEC were the 2nd-most. The ACC had 7 while the Pac-12 and the Big 12 each had 3.
The Broyles Award will announce 15 semifinalists later this season and then name 5 finalists.