Ed Orgeron shares latest on injured LSU players, previews Utah State game
Every team looks to get healthy during its bye week. LSU had Week 5 off, but returns to action in Week 6 against Utah State. On Wednesday, Tigers coach Ed Orgeron appeared on the weekly SEC media teleconference. Orgeron shared the latest on K’Lavon Chaisson, Rashard Lawrence and Glen Logan.
Sports betting in Louisiana is live and running. Whether it is betting on SEC football or LSU football games or the Heisman race each year, if you live in Louisiana, you can now do it from your mobile phone.
“K’Lavon’s looking a lot better,” Orgeron told the media. “I think that if he continues to practice the way he is, you’re going to see a little bit more of him this week for sure.”
When it came to Lawrence and Logan, Orgeron wasn’t as confident. He said he wasn’t sure if either defensive end will play against Utah State. Orgeron also ruled out LB Michael Divinity for Saturday’s game.
Orgeron also touched on a few other topics, previewing the Utah State game and talking about LSU’s 4-0 start to the 2019 season:
- On Bill Busch and Dave Aranda relationship: There are some things, maybe if they didn’t know each other, they would have to discuss for a couple of hours… I think it’s an advantage.
- On the speed of LSU’s offense and controlling the clock: We are going to have to make an adjustment, the biggest thing is adjusting the defense first… making substitutions… hopefully we can. If we need a break, we have to be able to run the ball.
- On LSU poor tackling and working on that this week: They got the message Monday, they got the message yesterday… it’s more or less, it’s not the actual tackle… it’s the approach, the footwork, the angle. I think you will see an improvement this week.
- On working on tackling in practice: Monday is no pads, but Tuesday was padded and we had some live tackling.
- On players sitting out/quitting in the middle of the year: First of all, you have to adjust. I think you should play out for your team, I don’t believe in players sitting out for bowl but we’ve had it… you have to go with the changes. as far as paying players, I believe players should get all that they can, with cost of attendance type things… we haven’t faced much adversity yet this season, that’s when these things creep in.
- On the weather and how hot it is: I think it’s good for us, we need to practice in the heat but you can’t practice too much in the heat.
- On Joe Burrow playing well: When you choose a grad transfer, you have more info than you did in high school so you can pick what you specifically need for your team… it’s sort of like free agency, guys are going to pick the schools that give them the best chance to play and the best system for them… it’s like getting a mature player for your team.
- On recruiting with five SEC teams in the top 10: The recruits are telling us they want to come to the SEC, especially the SEC West. It helps us in the recruiting and we’ve jumped on it… we will see how the season plays out, this is why you come, there expectations, big games, I look forward to the challenge.