Joe Moorhead after Mississippi State's Egg Bowl win: 'You'll have to drag my yankee ass out of here'
Throughout the season, there have been plenty of rumors about Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead on social media, traditional media and message boards. The second-year coach made it clear on Thursday – he’s here to stay at MSU.
“This is my team. This is my school. This is my program,” Moorhead said after a 21-20 win over Ole Miss in a dramatic Egg Bowl. “You’ll have to drag my yankee ass out of here.”
There’s nothing quite like winning a rivalry game on Thanksgiving. Moorhead is now 2-0 in the Egg Bowl. Here are some of the other highlights from Moorhead’s lively postgame press conference:
- “In 21 years of coaching and a bunch more as a player, I don’t know that I’ve gone through a season with as much adversity as we’ve faced (this year).”
- “The kids just kept fighting.”
- “I’m damn proud of this team.”
- On what he told QB Garrett Shrader: “I brought you here for a reason: be Garrett Shrader.”
- On QB Tommy Stevens, who did not play: He was hurt in the Abilene Christian game.
- On his job security: “It’s never been a discussion, in my mind.”
- Moorhead said there’s no doubt he’ll be back for 2020. anyone who thinks he isn’t the man for the job can “pound sand” or “kick rocks.”
- Willie Gay and Marcus Murphy told Moorhead “We got you coach.”