Mississippi State provides Mike Leach with impressive assistant salary pool, incentives for achievements
Mississippi State made a splash hire by luring a sitting Power 5 coach to Starkville but an even bigger splash by that coach being Mike Leach.
In case anyone was worried that Hail State may be too concerned with only winning the initial press conference, the program is making a serious investment to help Coach Leach do what he does best and develop a winning culture at Mississippi State.
Ahead of his introductory press conference on Friday, Mississippi State released the following information regarding Leach’s contract.
Mike Leach’s official contract details
- 4-year deal worth $20 million total
- Total assistant salary pool: $4.7 million annually
Incentives in Leach’s MSU deal
- $50,000 if named SEC Coach of the Year
- $100,000 if named National Coach of the Year
- $100,000 for SEC Championship Game appearance
- $250,000 for SEC Championship Game win
- $75,000 for bowl appearance in Birmingham, Las Vegas, Independence or any other Tier 3 bowl
- $100,000 for bowl appearance in Taxslayer, Outback, Belk, Music City, Texas or Liberty bowl
- $150,000 for Citrus Bowl
- $200,000 for any College Football Playoff bowl host site (Sugar, Rose, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta or Peach)
- $400,000 for College Football Playoff appearance
- $500,000 for advancing to the National Championship Game
- $1 million for winning the National Championship Game