College Football Playoff announces change to selection committee
R.C. Slocum was set to be on the College Football Playoff selection committee for the next two seasons but the former Texas A&M coach recently stepped down from his post on the committee due to health reasons.
With a new slot open on the committee, the Playoff is turning to a familiar face as former Stanford, Notre Dame and Washington coach Tyrone Willingham has been selected to replace Slocum.
This will mark the second time Willingham has been on the Playoff committee, as he previously served from 2014-17.
“Everyone on the committee will miss R.C.,” Executive Director of the CFP Bill Hancock said via statement following the news. “He has been a delightful colleague and a dedicated member, and he knows college football inside and out. We are also grateful to Tyrone for stepping in for the 2021 season to replace R.C. His previous time on the committee will make for a seamless transition.”
“I am so appreciative of the invitation to rejoin the College Football Playoff selection committee,” Willingham added. “It is an honor to be asked back to such a distinguished group. I have nothing but great memories from my initial experience, and I look forward to working with the current members in 2021.”
Following this news, here is the updated College Football Playoff selection committee for the upcoming season:
- Mitch Barnhart (athletics director, University of Kentucky)
- Gary Barta (athletics director, University of Iowa)
- Paola Boivin (professor, Arizona State University)
- Tom Burman (athletics director, University of Wyoming)
- Charlie Cobb (athletics director, Georgia State University)
- Boo Corrigan (athletics director, North Carolina State University)
- Chris Del Conte (athletics director, University of Texas at Austin)
- Rick George (athletics director, University of Colorado)
- Will Shields (former All-American offensive lineman, University of Nebraska)
- Joe Taylor (Vice President for Athletics and Community Wellness, Virginia Union University)
- John Urschel (former All-American offensive lineman, Penn State University)
- Rod West (group president, Entergy Corporation)
- Tyrone Willingham