Potential SEC first-round picks in 2017
Even though it’s more than a year away, the 2017 NFL Draft could be a big one for the SEC.
WalterFootball.com has released its 2017 NFL Mock Draft, which projects that 18 conference players will be selected in the first round. Six LSU players are among that group to lead the SEC.
Here’s a look at those 18 SEC standouts and the spot where they are projected to be chosen:
2. Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M: The 6-6, 252-pounder led the SEC in sacks (12.5) and tackles for loss (19.5) in 2015.
3. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU: The frontrunner in the Heisman Trophy race until ran into Derrick Henry and Alabama, led the FBS in rushing yards per game (162.8).
5. Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee: The 6-3, 257-pounder led the Vols with 12.5 tackles for loss and 10.0 sacks.
6. Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida: Tied for first in the SEC with 14 pass break-ups, the 6-0, 191-pounder from Washington, D.C., should be the leader in the Gators’ secondary with fellow cornerback Vernon Hargreaves headed to the NFL.
7. Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama: The 6-6, 326-pounder from Monroe, La., should anchor the Crimson Tide line along with guards Ross Pierschbacher and Alphonse Taylor.
9. Jamal Adams, S, LSU: The 6-1, 211-pounder from Carrollton, Texas, led the Tigers’ secondary in interceptions (4) and total tackles (67).
12. Lewis Neal, DE/OLB, LSU: The Tigers’ leader in sacks with 8, the 6-2, 264-pounder was also third on the squad in tackles for loss (9.5).
13. Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri: Second in the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss, the 6-3, 255-pounder from Kansas City, Mo. shared the team lead with 7 sacks.
16. Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU: The 6-3, 190-pounder from New Orleans led the Tigers in receptions (43), receiving yards (698) and TD catches (6).
20. Ethan Pocic, C/G, LSU: The 6-7, 309-pounder is one of three returning starters on the Tigers’ offensive line.
21. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee: Second on the Volunteers with six sacks, the 6-0, 225-pounder from Clarksville, Tenn. led the team in tackles (105) and tackles for loss (14.0).
22. Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida: Second on the Gators with 98 tackles, the 6-2, 230-pounder from Kingsland, Ga., was also third on the team 11 tackles for loss.
23. Marquis Haynes, DE/OLB, Ole Miss: The 6-3, 220-pounder from Jacksonville, Fla., was fourth in the SEC in tackles for loss (16.5) and sacks (10).
24. Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M: In the SEC, the 126 tackles by the 5-11, 200-pounder from Forney, Texas, trailed only the 152 that Kentrell Brothers had for Missouri.
26. Davon Godchaux, DE/DT, LSU: Second on the Tigers with six sacks, the 6-4, 293-pounder from Plaquemine, La., was also fourth on the team with 9.0 tackles for loss.
27. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia: The Bulldogs’ second-leading rusher with 747 yards, the 5-10, 220-pounder is coming off a season-ending knee injury.
31. Greg Pyke, OT, Georgia: The 6-6, 313-pounder from Baltimore started 10 games for the Bulldogs in 2015.
32. Da’Shawn Hand, DE/DT, Alabama: The 6-4, 273-pounder had just 16 tackles in 14 games in 2015, but 6.5 of them were for a loss.