ESPN unveils preseason bowl projections for College Football Playoff, New Year's Six
Ahead of the SEC football season, we get preseason rankings, preseason All-American teams and preseason bowl projections. This year, however, bowl projections are a little bit different.
ESPN college football analysts Kyle Bonagura and Mark Schlabach handle bowl projections for the World Wide Leader. Last year, they offered a preseason projection for every postseason bowl game. As it stands right now, however, there are more bowl spots (82) than teams playing college football in the fall (76). With that in mind, this year’s preseason ESPN bowl projections are limited to the College Football Playoff and New Year’s Six.
Both analysts agree that multiple SEC teams will make the final four with one advancing to the national championship game (against a familiar postseason foe). Three other conference teams also receive NY6 projections, as you can see below:
- Kyle Bonagura – Sugar Bowl (CFP semifinal) vs. Oklahoma; National Championship vs. Clemson
- Mark Schlabach – Sugar Bowl (CFP semifinal) vs. Oklahoma; National Championship vs. Clemson
- Bonagura – Fiesta Bowl vs. Texas
- Bonagura – Rose Bowl (CFP semifinal) vs. Clemson
- Schlabach – Orange Bowl vs. Notre Dame
- Bonagura – Orange Bowl vs. Notre Dame
- Schlabach – Rose Bowl (CFP semifinal) vs. Clemson
- Schlabach – Peach Bowl vs. North Carolina
- Bonagura – Cotton Bowl vs. Oklahoma State
- Schlabach – Cotton Bowl vs. Texas