Ranking the SEC's 2014 alternate concept uniforms
SDS’ own Brad Crawford is borderline obsessed with uniform designs and helmet updates. So much so, he wears vision shields to work and recently provided a comprehensive look at the combinations each team in the SEC will be wearing this fall.
Here’s a team-by-team glance at what you’ll see in the SEC this season:
- Alabama (Nike)
- Arkansas (Nike)
- Auburn (Under Armour)
- Florida (Nike)
- Georgia (Nike)
- Kentucky (Nike)
- LSU (Nike)
- Mississippi St. (Adidas)
- Mizzou (Nike)
- Ole Miss (Nike)
- South Carolina (Under Armour)
- Tennessee (Adidas)
- Texas A&M (Adidas)
- Vanderbilt (Nike)
Furthermore, Crawford’s ranked the home, road, alternate concept sets for each team too. There’s no real formula in selecting the best looks, just what he deems as appealing to the eye and intimidating to the opposition.
Tradition often helps for bonus points, but it’s 2014 and ‘new hotness’ is in.
Ranking the SEC’s best 2014 alternate concept uniforms; graphics by @SECFrenzy
14. KENTUCKY — Blue chrome helmet and a sleek updated white uniform combination. Better than the current road set for sure.
13. VANDERBILT — Secondary logo (anchors) on each shoulder is a nice touch for the Commodores’ updated black alternate.
12. FLORIDA — We’ve seen a similar orange alternate on the field in Gainesville, but two different pant stripes is a unique look.
11. ALABAMA — Without getting too funky, this Crimson Tide alternate features houndstooth sleeves.
10. MISSISSIPPI STATE — Grey, grey and more grey.
9. OLE MISS — Here’s the RED-OUT look for the Rebels in Oxford.
8. SOUTH CAROLINA — Finally, a black alternate worth wearing. There’s hints of Under Armour’s Wounded Warrior campaign in these threads as well.
7. MIZZOU — This concept really looks like a combination Nike would release for the Tigers.
6. GEORGIA — Silver pants are back and more appealing than ever matched with an alternate black jersey.
5. TEXAS A&M — Carbon fiber helmet and battle grey looks great with maroon accents. Kevin Sumlin approves.
4. LSU — Arguably the best alternate helmet of any SEC concept, the white jersey and pants reminds me of a Nike Pro Combat combination a few years back.
3. ARKANSAS — Chrome helmet and grey pants is a welcomed suggestion we haven’t seen from the swoosh in Fayetteville.
2. TENNESSEE — Checkerboard shoulders (ala Kentucky, but an obvious ode to the Neyland end zones) and an orange helmet? I’m in.
1. AUBURN — An orange jersey + navy pants. Fire.