Projected 2014 starters: Tennessee Volunteers
SDS continues its series of predicting the game one starters for all 14 SEC teams. Next up, the Tennessee Volunteers.
Tennessee opens the season at home against Utah State, and here is our projected starting lineup:
|QB||Justin Worley||DE||Jordan Williams|
|RB||Marlin Lane||DT||Owen Williams|
|WR||MarQuez North||DT||Danny O’Brien|
|WR||Von Pearson||DE||Corey Vereen|
|WR||Josh Malone||OLB||Curt Maggitt|
|TE||Ethan Wolf||MLB||AJ Johnson|
|LT||Dontavius Blair||OLB||Jalen Reeves-Maybin|
|LG||Marcus Jackson||CB||Cam Sutton|
|C||Mack Crowder||CB||Justin Coleman|
|RG||Kyler Kerbyson||SS||Brian Randolph|
|RT||Coleman Thomas||FS||LaDarrell McNeil|
- Justin Worley was recently announced the starting quarterback over Josh Dobbs and Nathan Peterman, although Dobbs could play early and often as an offensive changeup.
- The receiving corps of Maquez North, Von Pearson and Josh Malone is just nasty, and any improvement of the passing game could make the offense very lethal.
- The offensive line remains the team’s biggest concern. Five new starters will take the field game one, and there could be some shuffling prior to Utah State or even within the first couple of series. Marcus Jackson is the leader of the group, and the staff is really high on freshman right tackle Coleman Thomas.
- Linebacker Curt Maggitt will play defensive end, too, but he’s better suited as a rush linebacker. Maggitt and AJ Johnson is one of the top tandems in the conference.
- Freshman safety Todd Kelly is also making waves in fall camp, and he could see the field early. Brian Randolph will start.
Predicted starters for every SEC team’s first game: