Report reveals additional Vanderbilt opt outs including top tackler
Derek Mason’s Vanderbilt program is seeing more players opting out. The Commodores head coach told ESPN’s Chris Low on Saturday that the number is currently at “five or six” players.
“We’ve had five or six opt out, and I know there will be several across the league as this thing gets closer,” Mason said, per Low. “Our kids are looking, listening and paying attention and making decisions for themselves, and that’s exactly what me and my program encourage. You want these guys to be part of your program and part of your team, but not if they’re uncomfortable.”
Low’s article leads with linebacker Dimitri Moore’s decision to opt out. Moore was the team’s top tackler in 2019, tallying 99 total tackles, including 48 solo and 6 for loss.
The opt outs are also impacting Vanderbilt’s offensive line depth. Earlier Saturday, Jonathan Stewart announced his decision on social media. Low reports that two more offensive linemen, Cole Clemens and Bryce Bailey, are also opting out.
Earlier this month, Vanderbilt kicker Oren Milstein became the first SEC player to opt out of the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic. Milstein transferred to VU from Columbia.
More from Mason on preparing for the 2020 season can be found in Low’s full article here.