Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead raves about Willie Gay Jr., talks injuries after home win over Kentucky
Joe Moorhead has his team 1-0 in SEC play. Mississippi State improved to 3-1 on the 2019 season with a 28-13 home win over Kentucky in Week 4.
After the game, Moorhead raved about one of his linebackers and talked injuries in his postgame press conference with reporters.
Here are some of the highlights of what Moorhead had to say:
- The Bulldogs had to “fight, scratch and claw” to get the win to open SEC play.
- On having more players available: It helped not only with game-day performance, but also for morale and depth in practice.
- On Willie Gay Jr: Raves that he’s one of the best linebackers in conference and nationally. “I wish we had 100 Willie’s.”
- On QB Garrett Shrader’s performance: This was 3-4 years of recruiting and belief coming to fruition.
- On QB Tommy Stevens: Moorhead had feeling early in the week that he wouldn’t play Saturday.
- Stephen Guidry was also a late in the week scratch.
- Joked that he would like to keep RB Kylin Hill in a hyperbaric chamber to keep him healthy for rest of the season. (Injuries have taken a toll on MSU running back depth chart.)