South Carolina has cancelled Saturday’s game against Marshall due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence, the school announced on Wednesday.
The game was scheduled to be played at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday. The Gamecocks said they will look for an opportunity to play a 12th regular-season game later this season.
“Whether or not the game could have been played, we made the decision we think is best for the state and those who are evacuating the coast,” South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner said in a press release. “There is no question this is the right thing to do and the decision was supported by President [Harris] Pastides, Coach [Will] Muschamp, our Board members and myself.”
Before the Gamecocks’ decision to cancel the game, the 21 other FBS and FCS games that were scheduled to be played in Washington D.C., Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina this weekend had already been either cancelled, postponed, relocated or rescheduled, according to CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm.
South Carolina made the decision after an updated forecast showed that Hurricane Florence has the potential to make a greater impact on the state.
“Marshall athletics director Mike Hamrick and I have been in constant contact throughout the week about the game,” Tanner said. “We are in total agreement that this is the correct decision.”
South Carolina will return to action when it travels to Vanderbilt on Sept. 22.