Week 11 of college football certainly shook up the outlook for bowl season.
Georgia rolled into Auburn with an undefeated record and No. 1 ranking in the College Football Playoff Top 25. The Bulldogs were riding high but could not maintain their winning ways with a big letdown in the 40-17 blowout loss to the Tigers.
Georgia still has a shot to make the Playoff, but it cannot afford anymore slip ups. The ‘Dawgs must take care of business against Kentucky and Georgia Tech while knocking off Alabama or Auburn in the SEC Championship Game to make it happen.
Meanwhile, Alabama stayed undefeated with a dramatic win at Mississippi State. The Tide entered that game with a No. 2 ranking in the Playoff and look to control their own destiny the rest of the way. A matchup with Mercer is the only thing between an Iron Bowl showdown with Auburn and potential trip to the SEC Championship Game.
The SEC now faces a much slimmer chance of placing two teams in the Playoff. While missing out on that opportunity would sting, the league still has a chance at seeing multiple teams compete in a New Year’s Six bowl.
Erick Smith with USA TODAY shared updated projections for every bowl game, and Alabama is the lone SEC team represented in the projected Playoff matchups. Here is where every SEC team is projected to go:
- Alabama – Sugar Bowl/CFP Semifinal vs. Ohio State
- Auburn – Fiesta Bowl vs. USC
- Georgia – Peach Bowl vs. Central Florida
- Mississippi State – Citrus Bowl vs. N.C. State
- LSU – Outback Bowl vs. Michigan State
- Missouri – Liberty Bowl vs. West Virginia
- South Carolina – TaxSlayer Bowl vs. Northwestern
- Kentucky – Music City Bowl vs. Florida State
- Texas A&M – Texas Bowl vs. Texas